Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ursula LeGuin “She Unnames Them”

This story discusses the generalization of names and how sometimes they do not fit a personality. I found it interesting that she discussed how the different animals feel about their names. The story came together for me at the end when I realized the speaker was Eve. I realized this when she called the man Adam and mentioned his father. The animals prefer Eve because she does not give them general names, but names that correspond with their personalities. At the end she realizes that words are powerful and should be chosen carefully.

1 comment:

Steph said...

From reading this story I did not get the impression that the narrator felt that names generalize people and animals, but it adds to the story. It helps to explain why she wanted to get rid of everyone's name. I agree that names and words are more powerful than often thought.