Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tony Harrison “A Cold Coming”

I thought this piece was fairly blunt. The Iraqi soldier discusses US soldiers that froze their sperm in case they died in the war. The Iraqi soldier is not at ease with this decision because he did not think that he would have been put in the situation that he is in now when he went to war. He never thought that he would die this way and wants to send a message to the warring nations. He is basically saying that war solves nothing. It was interesting that he wants the reporter to portray him as a person that is okay with the situation. I think this helps to justify the point that war is unjustified.

2 comments:

Chip said...

Your comments about the poem made me understand it a lot more. I misinterpreted the poem and thought that it was going in the opposite direction but you're comments helped me.

cehoffecker said...

I didn't get this point at all when thinking about the story. With the sperm and all, that was pretty obvious but I didn't think that the solider was trying to say that war was completely worthless.