Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Notes/Comments to Strategies

Notes:
  • always differentiate between leisure and academic reading
  • academic reading should be purposeful
  • most people that read for leisure read passive
  • primary text: original piece of fiction or poem
  • secondary text: literary criticism or other historical articles of information
  • summary: a restatement of the main ideas
  • dialogue, double entry journal: write quotations from the text and add responses in a two column list

Comments:

When I read for academics, I like to formulate summaries as I read the text to make sure I am on the right track as far as understanding the material. I thought the material that was assigned was similar to material that I have already reviewed in previous English classes. However, I gave me a review of how I should approach reading and responding to various texts I may encounter.

1 comment:

Anna Mkhaylova said...

Have you ever tried keeping a journal of your impressions about the reading?