Sunday, February 24, 2008

Beyond Words: “Car Culture”

This reading was very interesting. I enjoyed reading the different articles about buying preferences between men and women. The first article, "A Prius-Hummer War Divides Oscarville" is about different stars and how they arrive to publicized events. The article states that the older crowd are more likely to arrive in a Prius because they will probably be more environment conscious. The younger crowd is more likely to arrive in gas guzzlers because they may be more interested in how they appear to others. The second article, "Women Giving the Directions: Now, It's Time for Female Designers" states women "rule the U.S. auto market." Because of this fact, automobile makers are trying to market cars to women through design. The problem is there are not a lot of women car designers, so men have to almost think like women when marketing and designing cars. The third article, "Car Makers Aim for the 'Love It or Hate It' Category" describes how some auto makers are going to extreme measures to sell cars for their uniqueness. Either this idea works sometimes are flops on the market. The final article, "My Life, My Cadillac Escalade EXT" follows the story of a 16 year old getting an Escalade for her birthday. She gets it because she wanted a truck not a car. On some levels I agree with her. I drive a 2 door Honda right now, but I think I want an SUV for my next car because they are roomy and sit high.

1 comment:

Chip said...

I agree with your analysis of all the car culture articles. I can see how girls would want to have a truck or an suv and how it makes them feel more powerful. Also, some girls might want a bigger vehicle for its safety value as well.